Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cranberry Scones

I haven't been updating this kitchen journal of mine for quite a looooooong time! Almost a year I must say haha. I still cooked and experimenting new recipes at times but didn't feel like jotting things here. Haha.

Anyways, yesterday I made cranberry scones to satisfy my sudden craving after I saw one at a coffee shop earlier in the morning. With all the tensions I had trying to finish up my research report, all kind of foods seem to look so good to me, so I thought instead of buying them I should try making my own when I get back home later in the evening!


I knew I had some cranberries left from my previous recipe experiment, an oat muffin which of course I didn't write it here, and I think we still have whipping cream and butter and everything else, everything made were from whatever's left in the pantry.

I used the same recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-scones/ with a slight modification. What I like about this this website is they allow conversion from US to metric measurements, since I prefer to know the weight of the ingredients coz I just think it will be more accurate, especially if the butter was called to be measured in cups/tablespoon. Here in Malaysia the butters are in either 250g blocks for salted or 227g (8 ounces) for unsalted. I can't have a grasp of how much is 8 tablespoons of butter, or 1 stick butter cause I'm so used to grams of butter. I can only imagine how much is 1 cup of water and immediately can convert if the recipe calls for 1/2 cup = 125ml.

Ingredients

  • 250g flour (2 cups)
  • 65g sugar (1/3 cups)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt (if using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt to 1/4 or even 1/8 or just omit this)
  • 113g butter (8 tbsp, or 4 ounces) frozen
  • A handful of dried cranberries (or raisins, or blueberries, or whatever berries of preference)
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 egg


Steps
  1. In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix them all together with a fork until they mixes well.
  2. Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add to the dry ingredients. If the butter seems to melt while cutting, keep them in the freezer for a while. When it's hardened, using hand with plastic glove on, mix it together with the dry ingredients until it forms like coarse meal. (crumbles). Add in the cranberries.
  3. In another smaller bowl, add cream and egg and stir until combined.
  4. Using a fork, add in the cream mixture to the butter and flour mixture and combine. With the plastic glove on, press the batter until they mixes well and forms a ball. It will be sticky at times but after a while it would be okay. I used a spatula to pick up any batter residue on the walls of the bowl.
  5. Turn on the oven to 200 degree Celsius.On a lightly floured surface, pat the batter until it's about 3/4 inch thick and using a round cookie cutter, cut the batter into shape.
  6. Place them on an cooking tray lined with parchment paper 1 inch apart. Bake for 16 or 20 minutes only golden brown. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes and serve it warm.

Well I didn't serve it with raspberry jam or Devonshire cream yet since I think we have enough calories in just a piece of scone. Hahaa.. Enjoy it with your choice of tea~! I chose chamomile with minimal sugar, just because I thought it has this de-stressing agents or whatever... If you're up for a tasteful coffee, this is not the one for you haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment